HOW TO WRITE A CUSTOMER SERVICE EMAIL
by jenn bane
you’d be amazed at how many people don’t know how to write customer service emails. that’s OK, no one’s perfect. if you have a problem with a thing you ordered online, here is how to get that problem fixed as quickly as possible.
let’s say you ordered a yo-yo and it arrived broken.
first, make sure you’re emailing the customer service department and not the CEO of the yo-yo company, although that would be pretty funny.
then write your email as follows:
- be concise. use short sentences. no, shorter than that.
- immediately communicate what you need. “hello, my yo-yo arrived damaged and i’d like to replace it.” (if possible, attach a photo of the damaged yo-yo.)
- include all relevant information. “i ordered on 9/1/2014 and my order number is 69420.”
- confirm the shipping address. “if possible, can i have a replacement yo-yo sent to the following address?”
- format the address correctly. use line-breaks, as if you were writing the address on an envelope yourself. someone might have to copy and paste that shipping address & fixing your mistakes sucks.
- say thanks.
- be patient.
- bury your lead. say right away what you need and don’t include any unnecessary filler. “hello and good day to you. my name is george, i live in england and i’ve been married thirty years and i’m the proud father to four beautiful boys. it was snowing in the year of 1978 that i ordered your fine product, the yo-yo … “
- scream at anyone.
- type in all-caps.
- write a wall of text.
now do me a favor: print this out and give it to your parents and grandparents in preparation for the holidays.
Our customer service manager shares some hot tips.
There has never been a Helen Keller card in the game.
Good job, Karlee.
Someone got Matt Smith to sign this Cards Against Humanity card. heh.
this is beautiful
Tonight at PAX.
We’re headed to PAX Prime!
Where we’ll be: Our space is inside the ACT theatre connected to the convention center. Room hours are 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM. We’ll sell & sign you stuff, and maybe even have some surprises for you if you ask nicely. We’re also really excited to share the room with some of our friends:
Our panel: We’ll humor your crappy card suggestions. Friday at 8:00 PM in the Sasquatch Theater.
Our comedy show: We’re hosting a night of comedy humor jokes with the Nerdologues, Improvised Star Trek and some surprise guests. Saturday at 8:00PM at The Triple Door. Doors open at 6:30PM. A few tickets might still be available here.
See you soon, Seattle.